Contact the State Service Management Office on 03 6232 7040 or Service Tasmania on 1300 135 513.
Use the Tasmanian Government Directory to find staff contact details
Follow our social media accounts to keep up to date with specific programs and initiatives.
The Executive Master of Public Administration (EMPA) is a two-year part time, post graduate degree designed for executives and emerging leaders to further develop management and policy skills. The EMPA aims to prepare emerging leaders for the demands and challenges of delivering value to the community, in an increasingly complex public service environment. The course brings together the best emerging public sector leaders from Australia and New Zealand with outstanding teachers and practitioners to strengthen participants' knowledge and ability to drive improved public sector performance.
The nomination process is coordinated by the State Service Management Office.
Target Group: Senior management and emerging leaders
Availability: Up to 2 scholarship places (annually). Scholarship program commences late January / early February 2018 (tbc)
Cost of Program: The total cost of the EMPA is $47,736.00
Important info: 60% of the fee ($28,641.60) will be funded through the State Service Leadership Development Fund. Applicants should note that the remaining 40% of the fee ($19,094.40) is to be contributed by the participant's supporting agency.
Application Closing Date: Friday 30 June 2018 (Late applications will not be accepted).
Scott Adams joined TasTAFE as Chief Financial Officer in March 2018. Scott is responsible for overseeing TasTAFE financial management as well as facilities management, corporate governance, procurement and Board secretariat. Prior to joining TasTAFE, Scott worked for the Tasmanian Health Service for 4 years as the Executive Director of Corporate Services covering facilities management, house services, IT and procurement. Prior to this Scott was CEO of an IT consultancy company and was associated in various capacities with Aurora Energy. Scott has held a number of board positions for not-for-profit entities including the no interest loans scheme, Lady Gowrie Tasmania and the Cancer Council of Tasmania.
Scott is a Certified Practicing Accountant, holds a Bachelor of Commerce from UTAS, and an MBA from Deakin University.
Mr Nicholson currently oversees the corporate services and strategy and Policy Division of the Department of Health and Human Services. This comprises Finance, ICT, Human Resources, Government Relations and Strategic Policy, Legislative Review and Legal Support, Chief Nurse, Allied Health and Education and Training, Shared Services, and the Mental Health and Alcohol and Drug Directorate. In 2012-13 the Divisional Budget was $151.8 million.
Having been to some ANZSOG lunch time sessions in Hobart, I knew that the calibre of ANZSOG speakers was high. I have certainly not been disappointed throughout Year One of the EMPA in 2013. Along with expert speakers and facilitators, the course is relevant, challenging, stimulating, applicable and incredibly well organised. The cohort of around 100 participants in the EMPA 2013 program is diverse and from a range of Commonwealth and State Governments agencies in addition to participants from New Zealand. We are learning a lot from each other and with each other as we complete a range of group project tasks that complement individual assessment tasks. Participation in the EMPA has significantly broadened and deepened my understanding of the public sector environment and how best to work within it and achieve outcomes.
The EMPA has been a great opportunity to build my knowledge in a broad range of areas aligned to contemporary public sector management theory and practices. Key learnings have included the understanding concept of "public value" and being able to practically apply such simple theoretical models in a real and useful way to many of the current complex issues and challenges in my work situation. Highlights have included hearing the insights from many guest lecturers, including Christine Nixon (ex Victorian Police Commissioner) and Michael Kirby (ex Australia High Court Judge), together with networking with the many diverse participants from other jurisdictions.
Over 20 years’ experience at both the Commonwealth and State level in management of major projects and policy processes. Projects currently include: Recovery from 2014 Bushfire, Royal Hobart Hospital Redevelopment Rescue Taskforce, Redesign of the Child Protection services, Youth at Risk Strategy, White paper – Delivering Safe and Sustainable Clinical Services, Joined up Human Services and Ambulance Tasmania Review. Qualifications include Master’s Degree in Public Administration and Degree in Science.