Skip to Content
Department of Premier and Cabinet

Workplace giving

What is workplace giving?

See the list of all approved Deductible Gift Recipients

Workplace giving allows employees to donate money on a regular basis to a Deductible Gift Recipient (DGR) directly through their pay. A DGR is a charity or other non-profit organisation that is entitled to receive tax-deductible donations.

Who can participate?

All State Service employees are able to participate in the workplace giving scheme.

How does the scheme work?

Employees enter into a workplace giving arrangement by making a regular donation to one or more of the charities or non-profit organisations on the State Service approved DGR list via their Agency payroll system.

If you would like to set-up a deduction to donate to one of the listed DGRs, please contact your Human Resources area in your Agency.

Your nominated donation amount will be deducted from your gross salary for each pay period before referring to the tax table and deducting the appropriate taxation contribution. Therefore, you receive the benefit of the tax deduction each pay period, depending on the amount donated.

Donations will be shown on your payment summary each pay period and a record of your donations to a DGR will be available from your Agency Human Resource area upon request at the end of each financial year.

What happens if I take unpaid leave?

In the event you take any form of unpaid leave you must contact your Human Resource area. The donation from your salary will cease for the period of unpaid leave.

What happens if I move to another agency?

In the event you move to a new agency your salary deductions will continue on the same terms as you originally requested. If you wish to alter these arrangements please contact the Human Resource area in your new Agency.

What if I want to make a donation to more than one DGR?

You should complete a new deduction authority for any additional organisations you want to donate to and forward this to your Human Resource area.

How can I change my giving arrangement?

An existing Workplace Giving arrangement can be changed by completing a deduction authority and forwarding this to the Human Resource area in your agency, allowing sufficient time for the deduction authority to be processed prior to the next pay period.

What are the benefits for employees?

Employees receive the benefit of a tax deduction each pay period. Employees do not need to request receipts to substantiate donation deductions arranged through workplace giving scheme if:

  • the total donation amount is included in their payment summary, or
  • they have a record from their employer outlining the total donation amount for the financial year.

What are the benefits for a DGR?

The workplace giving scheme is highly cost effective for DGR. The benefits include:

  • A DGR will receive donations as a lump sum from each employer. This reduces costs because the DGR only processes one donation from each employer.
  • A DGR is not required to issue receipts to the employee donors.

How can a charity or non-profit organisation be included on the approved DGR list?

Requests by charities or non-profit organisations to be included in the State Service Workplace Giving Scheme are to be made on the Application for Inclusion on the State Service Workplace Giving Scheme form word_icon (Word, 80KB), which should be forwarded by mail or email to the State Service Management Office.

If you are a State Service employee and would like your favourite organisation included, please email and we will forward an application form to them.

How do I record donations in my tax return?

There is no difference between completing your tax return for donations made under a workplace giving arrangement, and donations made direct to a DGR.

Total gross income and tax withheld, as notified on your payment summary, must be included under salary and wages and the total amount of donations made to DGR(s) should be shown under gifts and donations in your tax return.

Where can I get more information?

For more information on setting up a deduction, please contact your Human Resources Area. For general enquiries regarding the program, please contact the State Service Management Office on 6232 7104 or email