Skip to Content
Department of Premier and Cabinet

Questions and complaints about planning

Planning involves making balanced decisions about the way land is used and developed. Councils (not individual councillors) act as a Planning Authority at a local level to:

  • prepare and amend their planning scheme
  • assess applications for development under their planning scheme
  • act on:
    1. breaches of the planning scheme
    2. breaches of permits issued by the council

When acting as a Planning Authority, a council is acting in a statutory capacity different to that which it considers all other matters as a council.

Council planning schemes are available via the iplan website at

Questions and complaints about planning issues

Queries and complaints about planning issues should always be put to the relevant council in the first instance.

The Planning Policy Unit of the Department of Justice provides information, resources and support for planning professionals, councils and the general public, particularly in the area of planning reforms. They are also available to answer queries related to planning.

Contact the Policy Planning Unit, Department of Justice

Street address

Planning Policy Unit, Department of Justice
Level 4, 144 Macquarie Street, HOBART  TAS 7000

Postal address

Planning Policy Unit, Department of Justice
GPO Box 825, HOBART TAS 7001

Appealing a planning decision

If a planning decision has been made that you wish to appeal, you may lodge an appeal with the Resource Management and Planning Appeal Tribunal (RMPAT) if you are the applicant or if you are a third party and made a valid representation during the public notification period.

Tribunal staff can provide general information about the appeal process, but they may not provide advice about the merits or prospect of success of an appeal. The Tribunal has a register of professional experts who may provide such advice (on a first consultation basis), or you may wish to seek your own independent advice from a lawyer or other adviser.

Contact the Resource Management and Planning Appeal Tribunal

  • phone 03 6165 6794
  • email (email size limit: 10 MB)
  • website

Street address

Level 6, 144 Macquarie Street, HOBART TAS 7000

Postal address

Resource Management and Planning Appeals Tribunal Registry
GPO Box 2036, HOBART TAS 7001

Resources and related information