Amendment Regulations 2018
Following consultation with the local government sector, the Local Government (General) Amendment Regulations 2018 (Amendment Regulations) have now received Royal Assent and were gazetted on Wednesday 27 June 2018.
A copy of the Amendment Regulations is available for download, Local Government (General) Amendment Regulations 2018.
The Amendment Regulations amend the Local Government (General) Regulations 2015 to:
- prescribe the requirements for the keeping of a gifts and donations register by the general manager including: classes of gifts and donations to be disclosed by elected members to the general manager; the monetary threshold for disclosure ($50 or more); the details to be contained in a notice to the general manager and the timeframe (14 days) for the provision of this notice; and the information to be recorded in the register;
- amend regulation 21 to remove the requirements prescribing poster size and number;
- amend regulation 22 to remove the restrictions in regard to limitations on television, radio and newspaper advertising;
- amend regulation 22 to remove two separate electoral expenditure limits, replacing these with a single expenditure limit for a candidate:
amend the Declaration of Office such that elected members are required to engage in ongoing professional development and abide by the principles of good governance.
- $16,000 is the expenditure limit for electoral spending in the 2018-19 financial year, for candidates for Clarence City, Glenorchy City, Hobart City, Kingborough and Launceston City councils, based on a significant number of rateable properties in these municipalities.
- $10,000 is the expenditure limit for electoral spending in the 2018-19 financial year, for candidates in all other municipal areas.
- These limits will be indexed by CPI each financial year.